Technical Support Specialist 2 - Office of Information Technology
We have two (2) openings to fill.
Provide client support for desktop-based software applications, hardware configurations and system analysis. Provide assistance and solutions for integration between desktop and University specific applications. Analyze and document current systems and procedures. Develop, document and implement strategies, standards and procedures to be used by the various information technology staff members inside and outside of the Office of Information Technologies across Boise State University. Manage, design and engineer projects as they relate to the desktop infrastructure. 2 positions available.
- Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of desktop management experience or equivalent professional experience. Must possess standard driver’s license to drive department vehicle when required.
- Prefer degree concentration in: Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems or Computer Science.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Skilled in interpersonal relationships including clear communication skills, planning, organization and setting priorities.
- Substantial knowledge and experience with personal computer hardware including processors, motherboards, memory, hard disks, optical drives and peripherals such as scanners, cameras, printers, external hard drives, etc.
- Experience in creating documentation for internal and external Knowledge Base.
- Excellent communication skills, which allow for troubleshooting and problem solving via oral and written communication.
- Experience with enterprise desktop remote assistance tools, such as remote control, imaging, remote application deployment and patch management.
- Desktop certifications exams will be sought as part of continuing job training.
- Knowledge of all supported versions of Microsoft Windows, Apple Macintosh OS, Microsoft Office, standard OEM PC and Mac hardware and standard laser and ink based printers.
- Knowledge of “G Suite for Education” usage and administration.
- Ability to assess the need for replacement of hardware and/or software and make purchase recommendations, assuring compatibility with current configurations.
- Ability to prioritize workloads to ensure productivity of individuals and departments across the University.
- Troubleshoot various software configurations/features including operating systems, word processing, spreadsheets, databases and networking on all platforms that the University supports.
- Install and configure software applications/operating systems and network clients to operate properly on the University’s network, which includes handheld devices, UNIX, Linux, Apple and Microsoft.
- Research the latest product patches and fixes through web access and telephone. Consult with faculty and staff on what computer systems and software to purchase.
- Respond to requests or incidents from end-users, visualize the problem and respond to the user with a clear, concise and easy to understand solution to their problem.
- Examples of assignments include teaching classes to the University personnel, acting as system administrator for software application, software testing and packaging for desktop delivery, anti-virus software management and maintaining department server.
- This position has contact both physically and logically with nearly every department across campus. Problems need to be addressed quickly and effectively. The importance of professionalism, technical ability and responsiveness is critical to the success of Boise State University in its quest to become a Metropolitan University of Distinction.
- Associations are maintained with vendors for technical support. This position also works with external interfaces such as the State Controller’s Office (file transfer issues), Wells Fargo (p-card software upgrades and reports and others as necessary to support unique applications used by the University.
The Technical Support Specialist 2 salary starts at $49,000 and will be commensurate with relevant skills and experience.
Total Rewards Perks
- State of Idaho Medical, Vision and Dental coverage
- Mandatory Retirement plan with 9.27% employer contribution
- Paid Time Off: 11 paid holidays, 24 vacation days and 12 sick days per year
- Tuition Fee Waiver for employee and/or their dependents
- Free Valley Regional Transit Bus Pass
- On-campus Recreation Center
- On-campus Child care
This position will be located in Boise, Idaho.
About Boise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRhGeau8RlE
Application Instructions: Please complete the online application and attach a cover letter and resume that indicates your interest and qualifications for this position.
Apply Here: https://boisestate.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=200131&tz=GMT-07%3A00&tzname=America%2FDenver
Benefits: Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/.